Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rain rain go away!

Weather was the story of the series between the Pride and the Diamonds in Baton Rouge at the stadium at LSU ! Friday was the only day that went as planned. Cat Osterman pitched for the Pride and Katie Burkhart    pitched for the Diamonds. It was a pitchers dual. Both pitchers did a great job working out of jams. The Pride broke through for 1 run and that was all that needed. After the game they unveiled Brittany Mack's All-American banner and her long time boyfriend Josh proposed to her! It was a really sweet moment.

On Saturday they had a double header planned. Danielle Lawrie started the first game of the double header. Sadly it was not the game she wanted and I know it. She was really upset. You could just see it in her body language. She is a competitor and she will not be satisfied with that. She gave up 7 runs and then was pulled for Sarah Pauly who didn't fair much better. She didn't even get an out before she was pulled. Things were getting a little desperate for the Pride by this point! So Jamee Juarez was brought in to pitch and for the first time that I've ever seen Charlotte Morgan was sent to the bull pen to warm up. Don't get me wrong Morgan was a great pitcher during her college days at Bama but as far as I know she has never pitched in a game for the Pride! Jamee finally got them out of that inning but they would never recover and lost 11-2. Danielle did come in to finish the game out and I think that was good. I think she needed to do that for her. The 2nd game of the day Brittany Mack started for the Pride. She was a little shaky at first but settled down quickly. The Pride offense got going a little better and went up 7-2 on the Diamonds and then weather kicked in. The first delay was just barley over an hour after the game started and it lasted about 45 minutes. They came back and played about 45 minutes more and then ended up in another delay. During the 2nd delay they pulled the tarp at one point in hopes of continuing but almost as soon at the tarp was off and put up it began to pour! After about an hour they called the game for the day and moved it until today. Mack came back today but didn't seem to really have her stuff and was pulled for Cat Osterman pretty early on. Diamonds tried to come back but Pride held on and got the win 11-6! They started the 2nd game but barley got into the 2nd inning when the skies opened up and it poured. I was watching the video and it was like 3 oclock or so in the afternoon and looked like it was about 8:30 or 9 and the outfield looked like a lake. The Pride had a flight to catch and the rain wasn't going anywhere so the game was cancelled.

It was not the best weekend the Pride has ever had but not the worst either. There was some good things but there was some not so good thing as well! I shouldn't have griped last weekend about certain players sitting on the bench and not seeing much playing time because Jenn Salling played 1 inning at SS, was used as pinch runner 1 time and had 1 at bat the whole weekend and Niki Williams never left the bench!  It makes me very sad that these girls aren't seeing the field. I think there is just too much talent in both them to waste on the bench. I have to say though it's no wonder to me so many players leave after their rookie seasons. If you never see the field, it's not much fun. I'll be very honest it really upset me this weekend to seem not use Jenn at all. My guess is this will be the role she plays the rest of the season and I think it sucks! Poor Niki I don't know what she'd have to do or what would have to happen for her to see time on the field. Those two are such amazing competitors and I know this has got to be driving them nuts doing nothing game after game after game. It just sucks and makes me wonder why they were drafted in the first place. I just don't understand how they are supposed to improve and get better if they are never given the opportunity to play and get a feel for the game. It just frustrates me so much to see those two warming the bench because they are capable of so much more than that! It just seems like such a huge waste!  But I guess the coach knows what she is doing...

On another note I found out last night that Danielle Lawrie and Jenn Salling will be headed up to Canada to play for team Canada in the ISF World Championships the 13th-22nd of this month! I am excited for them! I know this is something both of them very much wanted to do and an opportunity they'll likely never get again! They've played for the Canadian National team since they were very young. Danielle started in 2005 and Jenn in 2006. That is where it all began for them. Without the opportunities  they were given all those years ago they probably wouldn't be where they are today. But everything started for them in Canada and I know they have a HUGE support system up there and I am sure they are excited to have them back. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this be the last time they wear the Red & White and I can't think of a better way to leave international softball. I've mentioned it before but these two will be always have a special place in my heart, not just because who they are as individuals(and they are both incredible individuals!) but because of their relationship with each other. Those two have known each other along time. I think it's safe to say they've seen each other at their best and they've seen each at their worst. I know things have not always been great between the two of them and I know they do not have the relationship they once did but I also know the bond, love, and respect they have for each other runs deep! I see it every time they are on the field together. No matter what is going on between them off the field, on the field it doesn't show. They respect each other and fully trust each other. They've got each others backs. I love to watch them play together because they have the best connection I believe I've ever seen. The way they look at each sends chills down my spine! It's funny how life keeps pulling them back together. I think somethings are just meant to be and those are meant to be! I'm excited for the both of them to go back to Canada! I will be watching and wish them all the luck in the world!

Well I don't know anything else right now! Go Pride, Go Canada, Go Huskies, Boomer Sooner, RTR Go Bama, and FTG!


No comments:

Post a Comment