Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Post season

I can't believe the regular season is over! I know I say that like very single year but it just goes by so fast. I just love it so much, ever single second of it and it zooms by! Huskies were fantastic this season! These players have really matured and grown not just since last season but as the season has gone on. It's been fun to watch!

While waiting for them release the Pac-12 awards, my only thought was if they don't include Hooch Fagaly, Victoria Hayward, and Kaitlin Inglesby there is something wrong! These 3 have anchored this team this season. Thankfully the Pac-12 saw it my way and all 3 were named to the first team All-Pac-12! To my surprise and delight Shawna Wright was named Pac-12 defensive player of the year! Let me clarify something here, I don't mean that as a knock to Shawna in the least! She is a fantastic catcher and I was disappointed when she wasn't drafted. What I meant by being surprised was that honestly the Pac-12 and the rest of the country seem to be completely over looking this team. Shawna deserved that award no doubt, I just didn't figure they would give it to her! Kylee Lahners was named to the 2nd team! Shawna, Kelli Suguro, Kimberlee Souza, and Jennie McNeill were all honorable mentions! I really honestly was not looking forward to them releasing these because honestly I figured they would screw the Huskies over. The Huskies had 1 Pac-12 pitcher of week this season and 0 Pac-12 player of the week! They just feel like most people aren't looking at the Huskies. I think that's good in some respects. Always good to sneak up on people and and not give them a chance to prepare for you. But on the other hand I'll be honest it really bothered me! They lost only 2 series in the entire Pac-12 season and they lost those to Oregon and ASU. They were never swept and finished 3rd. Their record was actually the same as ASU's but ASU got the tie breaker because of head to head. I think what really really irked me was that the only thing noticed from this past weekends games was Jolene Henderson's return to the circle. Completely ignored was how well the Huskies played and the send off they gave their wonderful senior class. They haven't had this many players named to the All-Pac-12 teams since the 2010 team who were ranked number 1 through most of the season! Yet nobody notices! I don't know it just bugs me! No matter what happens in the post season this team has a lot to be proud of! On top of that, they bring back all but one of their starters next year! Although that one starter is a big one(Shawna Wright), they are in position to really make some noise next year(not that anybody will notice)! They are hosting Regionals for the 4th year in a row(20th season in a row they've made the post season, that's success!). Their Regional is a little harder this year than last and should provide when with quite a challenge. They will have Portland State, Hawaii, and Minnesota. Hawaii beat them once already in the beginning of the season and they haven't seen Minnesota. I have really followed them closely but I know they came on strongly to end the season. Hopefully all goes well though! If they win their Regional and Mizzou does they'll be headed out there for the 2nd time in 3 years for Supers. Honestly was not so thrilled when I saw that!

Oklahoma had a fantastic season and are the number 1 seed going into Regionals. They were given a pretty easy field. They swept the Big 12 awards taking Coach, Pitcher(Keilani Ricketts of course), and player(Shelby Pendley) of the year! I think at this point they are the team to beat!

Another team that has a lot to be proud of is St.Edwards! The rolled into Canyon for Regionals last weekend and ran away with it! They are headed to Denton this weekend to take on Texas Women's in a best of 3 series for Supers! Sarah Debrow has been quite the work horse for them and has had one heck of a season! Good luck to them this weekend!

Tennessee and Alabama will host this weekend as well and if both when they will face off in Supers for a spot in OKC! Should be interesting to see how that plays out!

The Islanders never really got it going and the on top of that the injury bug bit and bit hard! I hope next season is much better for them!

Well that's all I've got! Good luck to all the teams playing this weekend! Go Huskies! Boomer Sooner! Go Lady Vols! RTR Go Bama! FTG! Go Islanders!

No comments:

Post a Comment