Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Adversity

I should be sleeping as it is 3:30 in the morning but obviously I'm not lol. I've been over the three games from this weekend. I followed them the best I could(I'll save that for later in the blog) and I've looked over the stats. Overall I feel pretty good about this weekend. Of course you never want to come away with 3 loses but I felt they hung around with Cal better than anybody else did all season. There were alot of very good things I "saw" this weekend. There were some things that were frustrating as well.

I'll start off with the good. I want to first start off with the defense, impaticular that freshman infield! I know I've been a little harsh at times where they were concerned. But they have played 5 very clean games in a row! I don't know what changed or what clicked but they've been playing beautifully! I thought the pitching was good. The stats are a little misleading I think. Kaitlin struggled with walks on Friday night(I have opinions on that but since my information is all 2nd hand and I wasn't there I'll keep them to myself) but she didn't give up a hit until the 6th inning! She really pitched a nice game. I felt Kasey pitched a nice game as well in the first game on Sunday. She gave up a few more hits and runs than Kaitlin did but overall she held her own. She again continues to amaze me and she certainly doesn't pitch like a freshman! She has alot to learn but she has something that can't be taught and that is mental toughness! Kaitlin's 2nd outing wasn't quite as good as the first. But I wouldn't say it was bad either. Bryana Walker came in, in relief in both games on Sunday and she did a beautiful job both games! Also I was very excited to see Nikia Williams break out of her slump and smash a 2 run HR! From what I've been told it was a monster! Also Victoria Hayward continues to have a nice season getting atleast 1 hit in every game this weekend! She is not as well known as some of the other Huskies but she will probably go down as one of my favorite all time Huskies! She is amazing at what she does, she has a great attitude, and she is such a sweet, funny, bubbly person! But I really love this whole team! There is just something special about this team!

Now to the bad. At the top of the list has to be the offense. Victoria did well against the Cal pitchers, Kaitlin did very well, Hooch had her times as did Nikia and Kimi but there wasn't much from the bottom half of the lineup. Grant it most of them are freshman but these freshman have hit well all season and seems all of a sudden they are kind of in a funk. Kylee Lahners was red hot for the vast majority of the preseason. But for about the last 3 weekends her bat has been ice cold. I'm sure she will find her stuff again but they could really use her bat as well as some of the other girls in the bottom part of the lineups bats!

I have to say I was very disappointed in what Cal could offer us to be able to follow the games this weekend. They didn't even have a good enough internet access to tweet consistently themselves or run gametracker. I had to follow the mother of their players on Twitter to find out what was going on. Don't get me wrong I'm glad she did it and we did have some way to know what was going on. But she is still a Cal parent and her Cal bias definitely came through a few times. For an elite college softball team it shouldn't be that way! It is extremely sad that no matter what this team does this season they won't be considered for hosting a regional or super regional because their facilities are so poor! This softball team deserves better and the fact that their coach and parents put up with that without saying a word is just sad. Grant it the Huskies couldn't Regionals or Super Regionals either until 2010 but it was because of lack of lights. Cal's problems are so much bigger than that! I think it's time somebody stands up for those girls and see's to it that changes are made!

Well that is all I have for now! Go Huskies! Boomer Sooner! RTR! Go Bama! FTG!

No comments:

Post a Comment